A True PREMIUM Project Must:
be a challenge;
push students outside of their comfort zone;
call for an innovative solution;
allow and facilitate an interdisciplinary approach;
require an investment of 150 hours per student;
be flexible enough to expand or simplify, if necessary.
Against limited investment a complex assignment is carried out by excellent, well-prepared master’s students under the supervision of a project mentor (a UM employee).
Each student commits to a workload of 250 hours over the course of 5 months, of which at least 150 hours are estimated to be spent on project execution. Depending on the size of the team assigned to your project, PREMIUM offers 600 to 900 hours of effort put towards your project:
- A team of 4-6 motivated master’s students assigned to your project;
- A UM employee to act as project mentor to guide students through project execution and your primary PREMIUM contact person.
- A multidisciplinary analysis of the issue;
- A blend of knowledge providing you with fresh innovative input and out-of-the-box ideas;
- The chance to invest in students by offering them a learning environment;
- The opportunity to experiment with new skills and behaviour;
- The opportunity to scout talent!
PREMIUM aims to enable students to:
- Gain valuable insight into their strengths and development areas;
- Improve their performance and competencies;
- Learn how to work as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- Learn how to work to a tight schedule;
- Learn how to manage Clients’ expectations.
In order to realize these goals and to provide Clients with the best possible outcome for their project, we would like to clearly communicate what PREMIUM has to offer as well as what we would like to receive in return from all Clients.
A PREMIUM client is expected to be involved with PREMIUM.
- Clients confirm a clear project objective and agree to the collectively set up plan for project execution;
- Clients adequately provide the student team with the necessary information for project execution;
- Students, coaches, mentors, and the PREMIUM Central Management Team would highly appreciate your presence at our central events: the Kick-off on January 9th 2020, the Midterm Presentations in March, and the festive closing seminar on May 28th 2020.
- Clients are expected to spend approximately 2 hours per week on PREMIUM during project execution.
- Clients are required to reimburse students for any business trips/transportation fees the students are requested to do by the client.
Please note that PREMIUM is not an internship. Students do not need extensive supervision or a working space at your organization.
For more information about PREMIUM and what we expect from an external partner, please contact the faculty coordinators.
The Role of a PREMIUM Client
A Typical Co-Creator
The international fellowship COMMEET was founded in 2017. It aims to empower communities anywhere in the world to take their future into their own hands. Katja, Friederike, Axelle and Anna were asked to examine the internal organisation of our not-for-profit organisation, and make recommendations for improvements.
Right at the beginning, these young ladies asked us whether they could call themselves the ‘four COMMEETeers’, and this aptly sums up their enthusiastic approach. It was a real pleasure for me to work with them. Despite Corona they kept working steadily and accurately, always keeping us informed about their progress. They did a super job: their analysis was spot-on and their recommendations extremely useful. We are forever grateful for what they did for us and we could not have wished for a better team to help move COMMEET forward. We are fortunate that all four COMMEETeers have indicated they wish to stay involved with COMMEET!
A Typical Formal Client
Statistics Netherlands (CBS) has worked with Maastricht University for a number of years now in the PREMIUM program. The collaboration was an initiative from the innovation team within CBS. For us, it is important to get a fresh, outside perspective on important challenges we face. PREMIUM students provide just that.
We prefer to take the role of formal clients and view the PREMIUM team as strategic consultants. This way, we do not influence the team with preconceived notions on how we should do things and are open for new ways. We especially like how the teams are flexible, can work independently, and do not take any current practices as a given. They have positively surprised us in the past and we are confident they will do the same in the future.
Jacqueline van Beuningen
Statistical Researcher and Innovation Team Member
PREMIUM clients about the programme
It was great to work together with the enthusiastic team of students, that were very motivated to dive deep into the project’s topic. As the program is multi-disciplinary, the project’s topic was analyzed from different point of views, which certainly added lots of value.
As a company we see many interesting and trending topics passing by, however, we do not always the capacity to investigate them all. For us, the topic of personalized nutrition was an example of this. The student team did a great job on analyzing the latest research insights, documenting recent activities in this market, and performing their own field research. My colleagues appreciated the team’s final presentation at our company site and were excited to read more in their final report.
All in all, joining the PREMIUM program as a client not only resulted in useful outcomes, it was also lots of fun, and we got in contact with many motivated students during the well-organized events. We hope to join again in another edition!
Market Research Specialist
Nunhems Netherlands BV
The PREMIUM project is a great thing and can only recommend it. With our PREMIUM team “Helping Paws” we had a very motivated team. The collaboration was constructive and brought many new impulses and ideas. I can only recommend it for any business and non-profit organization. Thank you!
President of the European Professional Association for I-L-e-Coaches e.V.
Managing Director Dog Center Canis familiaris GmbH
Dog educator and behavioral consultant
UWC Maastricht has worked with a number of different PREMIUM teams over the last 5 years. We were always impressed with the professional approach and high quality of the research and delivered recommendations. It is always refreshing to bring in a team of highly motivated master students to support us in exploring how to further improve our school. In 2020 we were fortunate to work with an enthusiastic team that helped us to understand the impact of UWC in the city of Maastricht and how to improve our community service projects.
This was our first experience with a PREMIUM project, and it was very useful for our organization. We appreciated the Client Handbook, the friendly PREMIUM team and mentor, and the enthusiastic meeting to promote our project. It was easy to work with the students, and the team did well despite the obvious Corona challenges. The result will assist our organization to achieve our objectives, and we will definitely try and do another project next year!
Stichting Farma ter Verantwoording