A True PREMIUM Project Must:
be a challenge;
push students outside of their comfort zone;
call for an innovative solution;
allow and facilitate an interdisciplinary approach;
require an investment of 150 hours per student;
be flexible enough to expand or simplify, if necessary.
Against limited investment a complex assignment is carried out by excellent, well-prepared master’s students under the supervision of a project mentor (a UM employee).
Each student commits to a workload of 250 hours over the course of 5 months, of which at least 150 hours are estimated to be spent on project execution. Depending on the size of the team assigned to your project, PREMIUM offers 600 to 900 hours of effort put towards your project:
- A team of 4-6 motivated master’s students assigned to your project;
- A UM employee to act as project mentor to guide students through project execution and your primary PREMIUM contact person.
- A multidisciplinary analysis of the issue;
- A blend of knowledge providing you with fresh innovative input and out-of-the-box ideas;
- The chance to invest in students by offering them a learning environment;
- The opportunity to experiment with new skills and behaviour;
- The opportunity to scout talent!
PREMIUM aims to enable students to:
- Gain valuable insight into their strengths and development areas;
- Improve their performance and competencies;
- Learn how to work as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- Learn how to work to a tight schedule;
- Learn how to manage Clients’ expectations.
In order to realize these goals and to provide Clients with the best possible outcome for their project, we would like to clearly communicate what PREMIUM has to offer as well as what we would like to receive in return from all Clients.
A PREMIUM client is expected to be involved with PREMIUM.
- Clients confirm a clear project objective and agree to the collectively set up plan for project execution;
- Clients adequately provide the student team with the necessary information for project execution;
- Students, coaches, mentors, and the PREMIUM Central Management Team would highly appreciate your presence at our central events: the Kick-off in January 2016, the Midterm Presentations in April 2016, and the festive closing seminar in June 2016.
- Clients are expected to spend approximately 2 hours per week on PREMIUM during project execution.
- Clients are required to pay a one-time €500 contribution, to cover any project expenses and help PREMIUM realize the optimal learning and development environment for students.
Please note that PREMIUM is not an internship. Students do not need extensive supervision or a working space at your organization.
For more information about PREMIUM and what we expect from an external partner, please contact the faculty coordinators.
The Role of a PREMIUM Client
A Typical Co-Creator
Brightlands – Maastricht Health Campus (B-MHC) joined PREMIUM again in 2015 following a pleasant experience in 2014 with another excellent PREMIUM team.
The interaction with the PREMIUM students and the guidance by the PREMIUM organization results in a good combination for companies/organizations to have assignments executed by a non-biased team, willing to walk the extra mile. This leads to expected, satisfying, and eye-opening results. The latter is the true gain for the company/organization and is the inspiration to participate for both parties.
As a co-creator one has the opportunity to provide directions, better ensuring that the desired results are achieved within the timelines set. However, acting as a co-creator might be more time-consuming.
B-MHC appreciated the mix of students in the interdisciplinary team (FHML-SBE) and for sure appreciated the spirit and never-ending enthusiasm in the team. B-MHC wants to be part of the next round!
Director Business Development
Brightlands Maastricht Health Campus BV
A Typical Formal Client
Statistics Netherlands (CBS) has worked with Maastricht University for a number of years now in the PREMIUM program. The collaboration was an initiative from the innovation team within CBS. For us, it is important to get a fresh, outside perspective on important challenges we face. PREMIUM students provide just that.
We prefer to take the role of formal clients and view the PREMIUM team as strategic consultants. This way, we do not influence the team with preconceived notions on how we should do things and are open for new ways. We especially like how the teams are flexible, can work independently, and do not take any current practices as a given. They have positively surprised us in the past and we are confident they will do the same in the future.
Jacqueline van Beuningen
Statistical Researcher and Innovation Team Member