‘Bringing TV Techniques to Teaching – How To Entertain, Engage and Educate!’
A two-part online workshop – hosted by TV Producer Julian Dismore
17 and 24 May 2022
In this two stage workshop you will receive guidance on how to enhance your teaching by using storytelling, videos, interviews and other techniques from the TV industry. Whether being taught online or face to face, students learn better in a stimulating environment. It is the responsibility of the lecturer to create that environment with their performance, the course content and the positive energy they engender from their audience.
All this can be achieved by using easily learnt techniques from the TV industry. Teaching and being taught can be much more fun – if you know how! TV producer and media skills trainer Julian Dismore will introduce you to different ways to make your lectures and lecture materials more engaging while maintaining the academic standard. Exercises, discussions and role plays will help you hone your approach.
There are numerous ways you can bring your lectures to life. And presenting skills like passion, body language and pacing can all be improved quickly and effectively. Julian’s career has been built on making even the driest subject matter compelling to a prime time TV audience, so he’s confident he can help make any academic content compelling – with the right approach!
By the end of this workshop…
- You will be able to revisit your existing lectures and have ideas on how to make them more entertaining (if you want to!).
- When you structure future lectures you will be more aware of the importance of setting the mood, the power of storytelling, holding back bad news and the pay off ‘call to action’.
- You will be more confident in delivering the high energy presentation style that effective lecturing requires.
- You will know more about the various ways you can bring your lectures to life (eg videos, interviews, quizzes and quick competitions)
- You will learn how the fundamentals of more engaging lectures are achievable in online, F2F and hybrid teaching scenarios.
- And you will see how you can make your lectures ‘must see’ events which students and colleagues look forward to. Entertaining lectures lead to improved learning which leads to happier students and improved feedback. Everyone’s a winner!
About the trainer
These training sessions will be given by Julian Dismore, TV Series Producer and Media Skills Trainer at Direct Productions UK Ltd. Julian is an award winning TV series producer & director who has produced over forty primetime series for various broadcasters, including BBC1, National Geographic, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, Netflix and Sky. Julian has vast experience in delivering web video presentation and production skills training for many universities and other companies. Read more about Julian’s work and credentials here: www.directproductions.co.uk
2 x 2 hour online workshop (on 17 and 24 May)
PLEASE NOTE that this is a two part workshop, in English and planned to take place online via Zoom on 17 & 24 May 2022. You will receive the exact details in an outlook invitation prior to the event.
Activity full or can’t make this date? Then sign up for the waiting list and we’ll let you know as soon as this event is scheduled again.
Sign up below...
|7 Filled, 1 remaining: Sign up »|