Studio Europa & YUFE
Maastricht University is firmly anchored in the midst of society. In the brochure ‘Our impact on Maastricht, Europe and the world’ you can read about our impact on areas ranging from the economy and health to culture and the physical environment. It also offers the most important facts and figures.
MWoE and YUFE are both newly established programmes that contribute to the strategic agenda of Maastricht University, more specifically the vision of UM and ‘Europe in a Globalizing World’. However, there is not much clarity yet on the potential synergies complimentary nature and collaboration opportunities between Studio Europa and YUFE.
Some issues that we are dealing with:
- Perception of external strategic partners such as the Province of Limburg, the Municipality of Maastricht is not always clear: Our two institutes are often being viewed as the same thing and/or confused with one another;
- Europe’s research agenda is invested in Studio Europa, but YUFE now also has research and innovation funding from EU, so streamlining would be good, but how does this fall into place;
- The visibility, branding and positioning of YUFE and MWoE as two separate entities within UM is questionable. Therefore, a compelling story and narrative must be developed, both contributing strongly to the European profile of UM;
- It is unclear how do YUFE and Studio Europa relate to other programmes (ITEM, Brussels Campus);
We therefore call upon PREMIUM students to help us setting in place a shared narrative and compelling story for both the internal UM community and our external, primary and associate partners. A stakeholder analysis is an integral part of this assignment.
Studio Europa Maastricht aims to position Maastricht as a meeting place for citizen dialogue and debate and establish a Centre of Excellence for research on Europe and European integration with the UM-wide Working on Europe research agenda as foundation. In short: a workplace for a better Europe. For everyone. Our mission is to stimulate active, critical debate with citizen engagement at its core.
Our organisation consists of three branches:
- The research of Europe: we are a leading Centre of Excellence for multi-disciplinary Europe-focused research with societal impact;
- The stories of Europe: we stimulate active, critical debate with citizen engagement at its core and capture and share the stories of Europe;
- The heritage of Europe: the Maastricht Treaty is the proud holder of the European Heritage Label since 2018 and we bring its history to life.
Young Universities for the Future of Europe (YUFE): ten dynamic, young, student-centred research-based universities and four non-academic partners from the non-governmental and private sector for an impactful European University. Together, the YUFE partners will establish one of the first true European Universities. The European Universities are transnational alliances that will pave the way for the development of universities of the future. The alliances promote European values and identity, and are transforming the quality and competitiveness of European higher education while making it more diverse and inclusive.
Primary partners of the Maastricht Working on Europe programme are the Province of Limburg, the City of Maastricht and Maastricht University, also key players for YUFE. The YUFE alliance are primary partners for YUFE, also interesting for MWoE as network. In addition, we have many different stakeholders, shared and complimentary, in Brussels and Den Haag for example, and in the science community.